I’m newbie and here are my rules:
1. Imagine that you’re awesome even if you know you’re terrible. It makes the time go faster, and will help you perform better.
2. A long skinny towel for your mat is so worth it. I don’t have one yet but I know I need one. A short towel causes so much adjusting.
3. If you have hypoglycemia, don’t go to the 6:00 am class without eating. You could pass out.
4. Don’t dress like you’re going to normal yoga. You could pass out.
5. When you’re in an upside pose of any sort, stop the sweat that is trickling up your chin past your mouth with your tongue or it will go up your nose. You don’t want to drown in your own sweat.
6. Drink a protein shake after your workout to replenish your protein. You really need it!
7. Before your workout, sip water all day long. You NEED to be hydrated to do Bikram Yoga, as proven by the quart of sweat left on the towel on your mat when you’re done.
8. Focus all your brain energy on what the instructor is saying. Even when you’re mad because you’re sure they messed up the thermostat.
9. Don’t think about your neighbor or look at anyone else in the class. Besides focusing on the instructor’s words, focus on your own form, your own eye contact in the mirror, or, when you’re doing balancing poses, a spot on the floor 6 feet ahead. Balance, concentration, determination, and self-forgiveness – these are all good attitudes to keep in mind.
10. Remember that the first 1/3rd of the class can be the hardest, and remember that relief is coming.
11 – know that every second you spend in bikram yoga is the best thing you could do for your body. Want to know why? Then stay tuned for 10 benefits you’ll get from bikram yoga.
12 – When they say face right, put your left ear on the towel or it will result in an awkward long stare down with your neighbor!
Ok I’m going for 13 because this one’s so important. Remove all mascara before class. You’ll be glad you did.